Monday, February 2, 2009

January Status

Wow! It's February! I can hardly believe it.

I have a confession. My name is Shawna, and I'm bad at budgeting. (*Hi, Shawna*)
Yes, it's true. I'm really not good at it, for whatever reason. I have an ethereal concept of what I think we should be spending, and I half heartedly keep track, but who am I kidding? I'm really not much of a budgeter.
So this year, I've decided to keep better track of what I'm buying, especially groceries. That is my biggest downfall. We'll spend a fortune on groceries and not even realize it! I try to keep it around $30 a week on average. So how'd we do in January?

Total grocery OOP: $155.03
Average weekly spending: $38.76 (just a little bit over....)
Total grocery savings: $142.70
Ugh! And I spent more than I saved! $12.33 more, to be exact.
Sigh... alright, now time for personal justification....
This spending includes 21 lbs of chicken, hopefully enough to make us through most of the year. We got it for $1.89/lb, which is the cheapest I've seen it in some time around here. (After the 9lbs you saw in my post, we decided we should get more, so we got another 12 lbs.) And it includes about 7 1/2 lbs of cheese that I got last week for $2.50 a lb. (As you can see I don't take pictures of every shopping trip. I think it would probably bore everyone to tears...) I'm hoping the cheese will last us several months as well. DH has taken to making homemade pizza, though, so it might not last as long as I think.

So now onto February! Total February spending: $0. Ok, so it's only the 2nd, but it's a start.

I'm home sick from work today, so DH has agreed to try a CVS run for me. I have ECB expiring today! Hopefully he'll bring home some treasures. I'm planning on burning about $8.50 in ECBs, and hopefully I can learn to live with that. :)

1 comments:

Lacy said...

Hey,

Good for you!!! You saved a ton!! Anyways, I found you via Frugal Hacker.....

My husband and I have started a website called www.weusecoupons.com. I'm creating a blog wall, full of useful blogs that have a frugal christian perspective! We have lots of blogs that are already on the wall like deal seeking mom, attention target shoppers, and many more.

If you're interested in placing your button on our wall, let me know!!

All we ask is that you place a link to our site in your links area.

Here is the blogwall url:
http://www.weusecoupons.com/index.php?pageid=blogroll

We also have created a coupon database with YUI technology (LoL I don't know what that means but my husband raves that it's the best thing since sliced bread lol)

If you have any questions please shot me an email!

Blessings,

Lacy