Saturday, September 12, 2009

An amazing, but very non-frugal experience

So, as you may recall, I'm a bit of a Monkees fan. Ok, that's probably the understatement of the century. I'm a HUGE Monkees fan. So a few months ago, my mom and I bid on an auction that Let Them Play was having for lunch with Micky Dolenz. And lo and behold, we won. So this weekend, we flew to LA to have lunch with Micky Dolenz.

May I just say, it was awesome! Worth every penny and then some. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Micky was amazingly sweet, funny, and friendly.



We actually ended up talking about Wolfram|Alpha quite a bit, which I wasn't really expecting, but Micky seemed genuinely interested. He said he was going to check it out, and I hope he does. I think he'd find it interesting.

So there was only one real downside. Once we got back to the hotel and transferred our pictures to my computer, I realized that one of the buttons on my blouse had been open the whole time! So that's embarrassing to say the very least. Thankfully, I had a shell on underneath, so at least I wasn't indecent.

I want to thank Let Them Play and Micky for the opportunity. Both my mom and I had a terrific time. It was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

***Update***
I thought of about a zillion things I wanted to add in here about the experience. This is probably going to be crazy disjointed. You've been warned.

Micky ordered a lean pastrami on rye, coleslaw, and an iced tea. He didn't eat the crusts of his sandwich. I found that particularly interesting. He is very knowledgeable about computers! We discussed a wide variety of technical issues. He got his first computer in 1979, and he used to program in Basic. He's in outstanding shape. I could use to learn a thing or two from him in that department especially. His parents took him to the La Brea tar pits when he was a child. There weren't any gates around the pits back then.

I assumed he was going to be a charming, intelligent gentleman. I was exactly right. Given the chance, I would do this again. It wasn't cheap, but it was more than worth it.

1 comments:

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife said...

The whole point of being frugal is so that we can enjoy other things in life, right? It sounds like you had an incredible time! That's so cool! :)