I know what you're thinking. Every post about Valentine's Day on a budget says the same thing. "Stay home, cook a nice dinner, and eat by candlelight... Rent a movie and snuggle..." And those are fine ideas, sure. But how about some different ideas? So I've been wracking my brain, and here are some ideas I came up with for fun things to do on Valentine's day (or any romantic time with your sweetie) that hopefully won't kill your budget. (Ok, so maybe I didn't come up with all of them myself... Bargaineering has a really great post with cheap Valentine's Day ideas that certainly assisted in my inspiration.)Now, I don't have kids, but I know lots of couples end up spending a fair bit on a babysitter for Valentine's day. So why not make the kids part of the fun? (I mean, they do go to bed eventually, right?) Enjoy some family time until the kids go to bed. Play a game or do a craft. Kids plus glitter and stickers is pretty much guaranteed to at least be interesting.
Find (or write) some romantic poetry for your sweetie and take turns reading to each other.
This year, Valentine's day is on a Sunday, so instead of going on a typical date, you could spend some time volunteering (if you don't work on Sunday). There is sure to be a shelter or soup kitchen in your area that could use a hand.
Babysit for friends who don't get to go out very often. Have some friends who would love to go out for Valentine's Day but can't quite spring for a sitter? You'll get a change of scenery, and you'll get to help out. Hey, not having kids is nice and all, but getting to borrow some every now and again isn't all bad, either, right?
If you want to do the typical dinner and a movie, grab a movie from the library or the Redbox and make English muffin pizzas at home. You'll save yourself a bundle, and you can pause the movie when you need to go to the bathroom!
If you're super talented like my darling husband happens to be, use it! My hubby's quite the piano player (to say the very least) and there's one particular piece by Rachmaninoff that I particularly enjoy (hint, hint, dear). So play your sweetie's favorite song for her on Valentine's day. (Oh, did I say her... Sorry, ahem, him or her.. 'cause I'm not talking about me or anything.)
I hope this helps at least a bit if you're looking to do Valentine's Day on a budget this year. I'd tell you what we're doing, but I don't know! Hubby says it's a surprise!
Ready to hop to the next Valentine's Day post? Many Money Savers Blog has a terrific Valentine's day post waiting for you. Many thanks to The Frugal Housewife for hosting this great blog hop!
Photo Credit: noelzialee / CC BY 2.0





















4 comments:
I like the idea of volunteering together on Valentines Day! What a great idea!
I agree with Stephanie! The idea of volunteering on Valentine's Day is a great one!
My blog is part of the blog hop too! I'd love it if you would stop by!
Happy Early Valentine's Day!
Volunteering is a great idea! AND if you want to borrow a kid for the day just let me know! :P
My blog is also part of the bloghop, hope to see you there!
Some great ideas here.
I agree with everyone else the volunteering together is fantastic. God knows there are a lot of people that could use a helping hand these days and soup kitchens are always looking for help.
Post a Comment