Sunday, May 31, 2009

Another TERRIFIC Reader Question

Shawna some of these offers for a free product, ask you to first sign up for a 30 day trail, with your credit card, I don't feel comfortable giving them my card, as I might forget to cancel the trial and get stuck with that fee. Is there a way to get the free product and NOT provide them with the card #??


Yes! PayPal has an AWESOME service called Secure Cards. These look just like credit cards to a merchant, but they are actually hooked up to your PayPal account. You can set them up to be one time use, so once something is charged, the number can never be used again. Also, check with your credit card provider. I have a credit card that allows me to set up a similar service. With my credit card company, I can set up a charge limit to the one time use number as well.

Now, you will still have to remember to cancel! You'll get charged if you don't, and there is really no way around that. Set up a reminder! Send yourself an e-card that is scheduled to arrive the day you need to cancel. However, at least your credit card won't be floating out there for the world to charge.

One last comment... Personally, I don't tend to do these, for the most part. I've done a few, but not too many. I'm too forgetful for these types of things! :)

Great question! Thanks so much!

0 comments: