Tuesday, February 3, 2009

There are reasons why I am a programmer...

First, a disclaimer. This post has nothing to do with a money saving escapade of any kind. If you are offended by non-money saving posts, stop now. I'd hate to ruin your day.

We have already covered the fact that I'm not much of a cook. I'm also not much of a baker. The other day, someone asked me to make a dessert for a church function. I volunteered my husband to do it. I'm not making that up. He made brownies. I did nothing. So a friend of mine asked me last month if I'd be interested in taking a cake decorating class with her. Oh sure, why not? It'll be fun, right? Get me out of the house.... Oh my most merciful heavens. I was not born to be a cake decorator. I have no artistic ability, absolutely none. Art class was always the class I hated the most. So here you are with your pastry bag thing, and I'm just totally lost. First I cut the thing too big. Good thing I had a spare. Then the ever so patient instructor is showing me over and over how to make shells. Mine look more like white poo than shells. And then there are the star things. No two of my stars were the same shape. That's almost some kind of skill, right? I mean, just probabilistically it seems like at least two should have been about the same size. And don't even ask about the letter tracing exercise.... That was just a total joke. I was only about 1/4 done when everyone else was finished.

There are only two more classes. It's fun, in a I-am-totally-not-cut-out-for-this kind of way. Too bad I'm not a professional. If I were, my cakes could go up on cakewrecks.

3 comments:

Mama2SweetBabyJames said...

*LOL* You are hysterical.

I will say it takes TONS AND TONS of practice to get good at cake decorating. Don't be so hard on yourself.

BTW, I want sprinkles...under neat that. HA!

Unknown said...

I will make you a pro..good enough for cakewrecks.

Maria said...

Oh thanks for sharing that! I have tears in my eyes. What a wonderful sense of humor you must have and what a great friend you must be too.

BTW I enjoyed your husband's money making post too.